Orechiette with Creamy Basil and Broccoli SauceNew recipe
- 200 grams broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 small zucchini (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 15 grams basil leaves
- 150 grams reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 250 grams orechiette or shell pasta
- 256 grams frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan (for serving)
- Cook broccoli, zucchini and garlic in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is just tender and bright green.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop vegetables and garlic into
- a food processor with 118 grams of cooking water, basil, cream cheese, parmesan and pepper.
- Blend until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Cook pasta in the same pot of boiling water, until al dente, drain.
- Pour the broccoli mixture into a separate saucepan,
- stir in peas and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes until peas are just cooked, then toss in pasta.
- Serve immediately topped with a grinding of black pepper and shaved parmesan.
Orechiette means “little ears” in Italian, the pasta’s curved shape is perfect to hold this sauce, but it can be substituted with pasta shells.
For something different try adding a couple of anchovies to the broccoli sauce when pureeing and try sprinkling with a few toasted slivered almonds before serving.