- 473 grams buttermilk
- 43 grams old-fashioned rolled oats
- 90 grams whole-wheat flour
- 90 grams all-purpose flour
- 32 grams toasted wheat germ or cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 55 grams packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
- Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron).
- Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.