Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches
- 226 grams turkey breakfast sausage (removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 226 grams mushrooms (sliced)
- 32 grams sliced scallions
- 32 grams shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 237 grams milk
- Salt (to taste)
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin gener- ously with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix the eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.
These crustless mini quiches are like portable omelets. Turkey sausage and sautéed mushrooms keep them light and savory. Small and satisfying, they’re also a good finger food for your next cocktail party. A good-quality nonstick muffin tin works best for this recipe. If you don’t have one, line a regular muffin tin with foil baking cups.
To make ahead: Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds