Frozen sausages are a convenience food that can be found at any supermarket. They come in many different flavors and varieties, but how do you cook them? The following blog post will provide four techniques for cooking frozen sausage with easy-to-follow instructions.
Do you thaw the sausage before cooking?
We definitely recommend thawing your sausage in the fridge for at least 1 day.
But with all of the techniques below you can cook your sausage straight from the freezer, just make sure you cook the sausage a little longer to make sure it’s cooked through.
4 different ways to cook frozen sausage
Frying in a frying pan
Frying in a frying pan is one of the four ways how to cook frozen sausage, and it can be done by following these steps:
- Heat your pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add butter, cooking oil, or bacon fat to the pan.
- Put sausage in the pan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes on each side.
- Turn down the heat by half (this will prevent the sausage from burning).
- Keep turning the sausage and cook again for the same amount of time or until cooked through.
- The last step is to enjoy!!
Pro tip: Be careful when you are cooking with oil that comes into contact with water of any kind. If the moisture from frozen sausage comes into contact with hot oil, it can cause a splash which could result in burning yourself!
Grilling in a grilling pan or BBQ
Another way is by grilling it in a pan or BBQ which gives it an extra crispy outside layer.
- Preheat the pan or BBQ (medium heat) and then brush some olive oil or melted butter onto the grill.
- Put on the frozen sausages.
- Cook on one side for 3 minutes until they have a nice crispy exterior.
- Flip them over and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Repeat this process until cook all the way through (usually with frozen sausage it takes about 20 minutes in total)
Oven baking your sausage
Cooking frozen sausages in the oven takes just minutes to prepare and doesn’t require any special skills or cooking knowledge. Follow these simple steps to cook your favorite sausage with ease.
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 190°C
- Put frozen sausage on a baking rack and place the rack in an oven sheet. This will make sure the air circulates so your sausage will cook evenly
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until done
Cooking the sausage in an air fryer
It is a common misconception that frozen sausages cannot be cooked in an air fryer. However, as long as you cook frozen sausages at the right temperature and for a sufficient amount of time they will taste great.
- Put frozen sausage next to each other in the air fryer (make sure they don’t overlap)
- Start out at low heat, and then continue to increase the level of heat until you finish with medium temperature.
- You will need about 12 minutes in total: 6 minutes on 160°C or 320°F and another 6 minutes on 180°C or 356°F.
- Check if the sausages are done, if not. Repeat another 6 minutes on 180°C or 356°F.
How to know your sausages are done?
You watch us say that you should check if the sausages are done cooking a couple of times, but how to tell if sausages are cooked?
If you want to know whether your sausage is done, the best way to find out is with a thermometer (internal temp should be 160°F or 70°C)or by doing a pressure test. The meat should be firm but not shriveled. If it’s not ready yet, don’t cut into it otherwise you’ll lose all those good juices inside!
Here where our 4 different ways how to cook frozen sausage (plus some pro tips) that will make your family’s dinner complete. If cooking doesn’t sound like it’s up your alley, we also provide instructions on how to tell if sausages are done and what kitchen tools you’ll need before starting any recipe. Good luck cooking those delicious frozen sausages! Any questions leave a comment below.