In this article, we are going to show how do you tell when salmon is done cooking with 8 different methods if you want to know more about hot and cold smoking salmon I recently wrote a post about this. Wild salmon is a fish which is rich with a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids which are absolutely essential for our brain development and function.
All in all, salmon has proteins, vitamins A, B, & D. It also has a wide range of minerals which are vital to a balanced and healthy diet. If you have never cooked salmon before you might ask for a center cut piece. Keep the skin on while you cook salmon! This will help to keep the fish together and from falling apart.
How to put your salmon in the freezer?
If you are going to cook the salmon some days after you have acquired it, cleanse the fish in cold water and fraction the salmon into the acceptable sizes for consuming, then place in a freezer bag to prevent freezer burns.
The ideal way to thaw salmon is to remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator 24 hours before preparing it so that it thaws on its own. Make sure to not place the fish beneath warm or cold water.
How to grill salmon?
Have your grill preheated to medium hot and after you have seasoned your salmon with a little salt and lemon pepper, try brushing on a little olive oil to the grill where you are going to place the salmon.
Here is my secret to absolutely fantastic looking salmon, like it just came out of a cooking magazines. After I have seasoned my fish, oiled the grill, put it on the grill and in about three minutes I have rotated it to cook another three minutes, then I flip it over.
About half way through rotate the salmon a quarter turn. Not a full 360, or even 180. Just about a quarter. And as you practice this, over time you will get really good at grill marks.
You start with the flesh side down first! Now I call that the presentation side. That is where the great grill marks are. You have a great looking piece of salmon. This is how to cook salmon!
Now just cook it for another 5-7 minutes on the skin side down now. You do not need to mark this. When the salmon starts to get flaky and turn color (opaque), you know that it is done.
By practicing, you will get better and better at this until your friends will swear you used to work in a restaurant. It really is not all that hard. Just takes practice in knowing how to put it on the grill and then how much to turn it.
This method also can be used if you want to grill your salmon on your BBQ, just make sure instead of brushing the oil on the grill you cover the salmon in oil. Check out this recipe if you want another way to salmon on the BBQ
Best grills to grill salmon
- SKY LIGHT Grill Pan, 11 inch Portable Nonstick Frying Pan
- Wilton Armetale Gourmet Grillware Grilling Pan
How to broil salmon?
Broiling is a popular method that is easy and straightforward. The oven rack should be arranged six inches from the heat. By arranging parchment paper on the broiling pan (and eventually the fish on the parchment paper) the pan will be far easier to clean once the meal is complete.
If you are cooking your salmon whole, allow eight minutes for each half pound of fish. Fillets and steaks need to be cooked six minutes for each half inch of thickness. If you are cooking fillets ensure sure you place the skin down when you cook it.
How to poach salmon?
To poach salmon, pour water into a shallow skillet until it is half full. Bring the water to a boil and add sliced lemon, onion and fresh herbs for flavor. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil and add the salmon, simmering until it is done. Simmer for 5 minutes for each half inch of thickness.
Poaching equipment that makes life easier
- RSVP International Endurance Stainless Steel Fish Poacher
- Stainless Steel Fish Poacher
How to fry salmon in a pan?
Pan-frying salmon is possibly the easiest way to prepare a delicate and pleasing meal. After selecting some fine salmon fillets, allow them to come to room temperature about ten minutes before cooking. Season the salmon with salt and fresh ground black pepper while the oil heats over low to medium heat in a skillet. When you are ready to place the salmon in the skillet, bring the heat up to a medium to high level and put the salmon into the pan.
If you choose to leave the skin on then place the fillet skin-side down and cook until the other side is a lovely golden brown. When this color is achieved after four minutes or so, flip the filet over and cook until the skin is nice and crisp. The whole cooking process takes less than fifteen minutes and the flavor is remarkable. For cooking novices and veterans alike, this is one of the best ways of how to fry salmon.
Easy to cook frying pans
- 3-Piece Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Frying Pan Set with Lid Nonstick
how to make Salmon Papillote?
- Cut large parchment hearts for each piece of fish.
- Brush the inside of the heart with garlic and herb-spiked melted butter or olive oil.
- Layer washed, chopped garden fresh vegetables, onions, leeks and one salmon filet on one side of the butter brushed paper.
- Drizzle with white wine, fresh Florida lemon, sprinkle with favorite seasonings and herbs, and dot with a bit of butter.
- Fold the other half of the heart over the food. Fold and crimp the edges to tightly seal the food inside the parcel.
- Bake in a very hot oven of around 225°C for approximately 18 minutes. The packets will expand as they bake, causing the steam to circulate around the food, while retaining the vital nutrients inside in a most delicious way. When the parcels puff and brown the food is done.
- Transfer to a preheated dinner plate, cut a small x in the top of each parcel, the intoxicating aroma will perfume the room and delight the senses.
how to cook Salmon in an oven or air fryer?
This forward cooking method is easy and you shouldn’t overthink this! Just, Bake in an oven for 12-20 minutes on 190°C or until the salmon is cooked all the way through (please note: cooking time will depend on the thickness and size of the fillets).
Perfect air fryers for fish
- Smart WiFi Air Fryer 13 Cooking Functions, Keep Warm & Preheat & Shake Remind
- Air Fryer Max XL Digital Hot Oven Cooker, One Touch Screen with 13 Cooking Functions, Preheat and Shake Reminder
This video will explain everything you need to know about cooking your salmon in the oven.
Air fryer video
An alternative to cooking you salmon in the oven is cooking you salmon in an air fryer. Like before this video will explain how.