Are you looking for a simple, delicious recipe that will help preserve your garden’s bounty? Canned cabbage is an excellent way to preserve fresh vegetables so they can be enjoyed all year long. In this blog post, I’m going to share how I make homemade canned cabbage.
Shredding your cabbage with a mandolin.
The mandolin is a great way to chop vegetables like cabbage quickly and easily. I have included some instructions below on how to shred cabbage with a mandolin:
- Cut the cabbage into quarters
- Lay the cabbage on the mandolin and set the blade on the thickness you want.
- Hold the cabbage tight with one hand and use the other hand to guide the mandolin down across it. To avoid spilling any cabbage, place the mandolin over a bowl.
- Use your hand to guide the cabbage off of the blade and downwards.
- Repeat this last step until you have enough cabbage.
Sterilize your jars!
Let’s talk about how to can cabbage! To make sure you don’t get any bacteria in your jars, we want to sterilize them first. This is how:
Place the jars in a pot upside down. Fill with water so that it covers all of the jars by at least an inch or two (this is important). Boil for ten minutes, then turn off the stove. Let cool until you can handle without gloves on. Sterilize also your lids!
Making your own preserving liquid.
To make your preserving liquid you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 250ml / 1 cup boiling water
- 125ml / 0.5 cup rice wine vinegar
- 100g / 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 10g / 5tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
Now, combine all of the ingredients above.
Assemble your jars
Now your jars are sterilized, your cabbage is shredded and your liquid is made it’s time to make your canned cabbage.
- Fill the jar with cabbage
- Pour preserving liquid into the jar until the cabbage is completely covered and seal your jars.
- Let jars cool for at least 24 hours before eating.
Kitchen tools you’ll need.
Some kitchen tools we recommend for canning your homemade cabbage are
- GOTHAM STEEL 5-Quart Stock Pot
- Ball Mason 32 oz Wide Mouth Jars
- Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline
- Presto 02970 Professional SaladShooter
- Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs
Some creative canned cabbage recipes.
In this blog post, I have shown you how to make a basic homemade canned cabbage. Making your own preserved food is a great way to save money and keep the freshness of summer vegetables for months. This DIY project also makes a thoughtful gift for family members who like their meals simple but delicious.